History of St Patrick, Southport

 

The Stations of the Cross

 

 

 

 

 

The Stations of the Cross which are found around the walls of the church are the traditional Catholic devotion to the Passion and Death of Christ. There are fourteen such ‘stations’ or events, depicting moments in Our Lord’s last journey to Calvary based on the Scriptures.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The Stations were first used by St. Francis and his Brothers as a way of helping people of his time (who could not read the scriptures) to meditate on the sufferings of Christ.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The Stations here were brought from Northern Italy where they were each hand carved from single pieces of ash wood.

 

Various individuals or families in the parish kindly endowed the Stations.

 

 

St Patrick’s Catholic Church

In the Pastoral Area of Southport and the Archdiocese of Liverpool

Contact:

Tel: 01704 228943 or 01704 531229

Email: stpatricks.southport@rcaolp.co.uk

Home

Contact Us

The Sacraments

Children and Young People

Events

Parish Centre

Pastoral Area

Links

The Beginnings

1912-1957

1957-1995

The new complex

Construction

Dedication of the new church

Guided tour

The Church

The Sanctuary

Stations of

the Cross

Lady Shrine

Confessional

2012 to present