History of St Patrick, Southport

 

The Lady Shrine

 

 

To the left as you enter the church is the Lady shrine – a feature common to all Catholic Churches. Mary played such an important role in the history of salvation that she has through the ages been honoured and revered as Mother of Christ, Mother of the Church.

This particular statue was designed and sculptured by an Italian nun – Sr. Angelica. The original was made in terracotta clay. The copy we have is a fibreglass mould of the original.

What is unusual is that this particular statue, named simply “Our Lady of the Smile” shows Mary very much as a young peasant girl – she is serene and yet so proud of her child whom she lifts lovingly towards us.

 

The statue of Mary and the child was generously endowed by the parish Ladies’ Group .

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

St Patrick’s Catholic Church

In the Pastoral Area of Southport and the Archdiocese of Liverpool

Contact:

Tel: 01704 228943 or 01704 531229

Email: stpatricks.southport@rcaolp.co.uk

Home

Contact Us

The Sacraments

Children and Young People

Events

Parish Centre

Pastoral Area

Links

The Beginnings

1912-1957

1957-1995

The new complex

Construction

Dedication of the new church

Guided tour

The Church

The Sanctuary

Stations of

the Cross

Lady Shrine

Confessional

2012 to present